- Curator, Florida Museum of Natural History, University of Florida
- Internationally recognized as one of the foremost scholars in the field of Plant Biology
- Pioneer in understanding of the origin and evolutionary significance of the chromosomal structure of plants
- Selected as the “Avon Lady” at Duke University for giving special presentations on the challenges women face in academia
- Served as President of the Society of Systematic Biologists and Secretary of the Botanical Society of America.
- 2002: Received the Dahlgren Prize in Botany from the Royal Physiographic Society of Sweden, the field’s equivalent to the Nobel Prize